Rhyl and District RFC | 1st Team 0 - 5 Dolgellau RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
05 May 2019 / Team News

Rhyl 0.V. 5 Dolgellau

Division 2 North  Saturday 4th May 2019

On paper, this match to bring the curtain down on all 2nd Division fixtures for the season, was a dead rubber, as Dolgellau had secured their promotion the previous week. But to be fair to both teams, it turned out into a pretty keenly contested game from start to finish, and it was due to some heroic defending from both sides kept the scorers quiet. A solitary try from Dolgellau scrum half, Lewis Jones, was all that separated these sides.

This was Dolgellau’s first visit to Rhyl’s first class new facilities at Tynewydd field, and despite having the benefit of a significant, cooling, breeze were soon under pressure, and encamped in their own 22 for most of the opening quarter. Long clearance kicks were returned with interest by Rhyl full back, Tomos Jones.  Dolgellau had to rely on swift counter attacks ,and after twenty minutes, outstanding second row , Marius Jones thought he had scored  but the ball had been knocked on from a lineout. However minutes later, his fellow second row partner, Greg Smithies broke free deep into the Rhyl cover defence, and despite being hauled down five metres out, he offloaded just as scum half, Lewis Jones, came to his aid, and the youngster’s pace saw him sprint over for  the score. Wing Jake Hinge, skewed an easy conversion wide, and so the score remained 0-5.
Rhyl spurned a two man overlap when a try seemed certain, but prolific try scoring wing,  Reeve Wright knocked on with the try line at his mercy.

With the wind behind them for the duration of the second half, Rhyl again were threatening, but the Dolgellau defence was outstanding to keep them out.  Dolgellau lost stand-off, Dafydd Roberts , with a knock on the knee, but his replacement, Gerallt Hughes, in a makeshift centre role, almost scored after ten minutes, but knocked on two metres out,  just as no8 Dylan Llewelyn was coming to his aid.

Rhyl full back, Tomos Jones crossed the white wash after twenty five minutes, after he gathered a chip ahead, but referee Ed Brown had spotted that he was in front of the kicker, and the try did not stand.
Dolgellau survived to finish a great season with the win, and now look ahead to next week’s Intermediate Cup Final, where they play the winner of the Cobra.v. Newtown semi final, at  Rhuthin Rugby Club.  This will be on Sunday the  12th May, and kick off will be at 3.30pm
Referee: Ed Brown

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos