Dolgellau RFC | 1st Team 24 - 21 Welshpool RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
22 October 2018 / Team News

Dolgellau 24.V. 21 Welshpool

Dolgellau  24.V. 21 Welshpool
                      Division 2 North Saturday 13th October 2018 [FB Version]

The decision taken by match referee, Ed Brown, to start the match at 2.10pm was inspired, as it turned out the match ended with one touchline and the west in-goal area flooding rapidly as the Wnion river waters rose menacingly. Miraculously the match itself was relatively rain free, and both sides should be given credit for a cracking contest.
Dolgellau took the lead after ten minutes. Debutant No.8 Tim Jones paving the way and stand-off Eben Jones’ long pass saw wing Jake Hinge in at left corner to give Dolgellau a 5-0 lead. Hooker Ally Evans scored under the posts for Welshpool, with full back Tom Williams converting into the swirling wind to give the visitors a deserved 5-7 lead. The lead lasted less than four minutes. Dolgellau’s speedy threequarters wrong footed the visitors cover and  Jake Hinge come off his left wing to break through for his second try of the game.  Centre Henri Roberts converted to put Dolgellau 12-7 ahead.  
Dolgellau full-back, James Owen, should have scored what would have been a remarkable 80m kick and chase but he knocked on less than a meter short of the try line!
With less than five minutes of the half remaining, a scrum 5 saw Dolgellau drive on and no.8 Iwan Pugh was halted on the line, however prop Dewi Puw was there to cross the try line and make the score 17-7 at the interval.
The visitors fought back strongly at the start of the second half, with flanker Tom Davies going over under the posts.  Tom Williams added the extras to leave the match finely balanced at 17-14.   As the Dolgellau faithful became increasingly nervous, up stepped centre Henri Roberts. Dolgellau were pushing deep into Welshpool territory, but as scrum half Lewis Jones moved the ball wide, Roberts still had plenty to do to, but his strength took him through several tackles to slide into the flood beyond the try line for the try he duly converted to give his side a bonus point and breathing space at 24-14.
Youngster Gwion Lloyd came on for his senior debut for the injured Greg Smithies, but the visitors finished strongly and with five minutes remaining, flanker Joe Stranks finished a long Welshpool drive. The try was again converted by full-back Tom Williams to make it 24-21.
Referee: Ed Brown

Players Fixture player info not published.