Dolgellau RFC | 1st Team 9 - 10 Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team
Deio Brunelli
2 Try

Match Report
29 March 2018 / Team News

Dolgellau 9.v.10 Pwllheli

Dolgellau 9.v.10 Pwllheli
                         [Div 1 North] 28.03.2018

Pwllheli scraped home by the skin of their teeth curtesy of two first half tries to centre Deio Brunelli to maintain their title challenge, whilst Dolgellau will look back on several missed opportunities to clinch it in a highly competitive and entertaining match.

Played under flood-lights, the pitch had several wet patches, which suited the home side, and they rose magnificently to the occasion. However it was the visitors who opened the scoring after six minutes. Pwllheli were pressing deep in Dolgellau territory when they took a quick tap penalty only five metres out, and centre Deio Brunelli crashed over for his first, close to the posts to make it 0-5. Stand-off Nick Butterworths’ conversion, however, skewed wide. 

A break by Dolgellau centre Eben Jones nearly saw wing Rob Pugh in at the right corner. Pwllheli were off-side during the move and stand-off, Gerwyn Thomas put over the penalty to make it 3-5 after ten minutes play. A similar break by centre, Dylan Evans saw Thomas put Dolgellau ahead with his second penalty going into the second quarter of the match.

With both sides handling remarkably well with a slippery ball, Dolgellau should have scored after half an hour, as wing Rhys Lewis, outstanding no.8, Dylan Llewelyn and hooker, Eon Williams combined well only to knock on a metre short of the try line. Five minutes later they were punished, as a swift counter attack from deep saw stand off Nick Butterworth break for centre, Deio Brunelli, to clinically finish off the move for his second try and re-gain the lead at 6-10.

However Dolgellau’s hard working forwards were making good ground and flanker, Rob Lewis carved an opening which eventually led to Gerwyn Thomas’ third penalty to narrow the gap to a single point with only two minutes of the half remaining. 

Dolgellau harried, chased, and kicked intelligently and were generally on top during a scoreless second half, which ebbed and flowed from one end to the other. Gerwyn Thomas had the opportunity to re-gain the lead for Dolgellau after ten second half minutes when Pwllheli were penalised for a poor tackle on scrum half, Jac Roberts.

Dolgellau tried their utmost to win it, and wing Rhys Lewis came close again, and with eight minutes to go, full back, Gareth Hughes was clean through only for referee Ammanda Lattuca’s whistle to bring back play for an alleged forward pass.

Pwllheli will be satisfied to come through this one, and a loosing bonus point will be crucial for Dolgellau in the run-in. A great effort by the men in Blue, and skipper Rhys Roberts should be proud of the boys tonight, and Coach Cellan Lewis too, and if they play like this for the remaining games they will stay in Div 1 next year  !!

Referee: Ammanda Lettuca   10/10  [Kept the game moving throughout].

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos