Dolgellau RFC | 1st Team 3 - 12 Bethesda RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
18 March 2018 / Team News

Dolgellau 3.v.12 Bethesda


Dolgellau 3.v.12  Bethesda
                                [Div 1North] 17.03.2018

In form Bethesda clinched their second away win in seven days to move clear of the relegation troubles, and in doing so send Dolgellau to the bottom two.

With the benefit of a stiff biting Easterly wind, bringing with it the occasional flurry of snowflakes, it was Bethesda who dominated early on. They took the lead after ten minutes as full-back, Gethin Long elected to find touch rather than chance a pot at goal. They were rewarded from the resulting lineout, as their forwards drove on, with prop Paul Thomas touching down to make it 0-5.

Dolgellau gamely tried to run from deep, but after twenty five minutes, they turned the ball over, Bethesda’s counter attack was clinical and centre Huw Williams put in full-back Gethin Long for the try. Long added the conversion to make it 0-12.

Bethesda’s defence withstood all Dolgellau could throw at them, but in the final minute of the half, referee Robert Jones lost patience with skipper Danial Jones and issued a yellow card for continued infringement at the off-side line.

Dolgellau started the second half strongly. Replacement Bryn Jones, prop Greg Smithies, and no.8 Dylan Llewelyn almost carved a scoring opportunity, but it was the closest Dolgellau came to scoring, such was the visitors composure in defence.
For all their effort Dolgellau could only succeed with a solitary penalty to stand-off, Gerwyn Thomas after five minutes to make it 3-12.

Dolgellau tried in vain to keep the pressure on with the benefit of the wind, but the visitors grew in stature and commanded the rest of the game, with their half backs and forwards combining well.  Dolgellau’s Owain Thomas and Rhys Lewis thwarted certain Bethesda scores, and Bethesda played out the match comfortably to secure the win.
Referee: Robert Jones

Players Fixture player info not published.