Nant Conwy RFC | 1st Team 24 - 0 Dolgellau RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
04 October 2017 / Team News

Nant Conwy 24.v.0 Dolgellau

                            [Div 1North ] 30.09.2017

The score-line suggests a relatively routine passage for Nant Conwy, but Dolgellau can take huge credit for dominating for long periods in what was a pretty even contest. Nant took their chances with clinical accuracy, whilst Dolgellau will look back on missed opportunities that cost them dear.

Dolgellau started brightly and had Nant under pressure, but a turnover on half way, Nant spread the ball wide quickly and full-back, Sion Pringle went over for the opening score after ten minutes.  After half an hour a long Dolgellau clearance was gathered by Nant No.8 Carwyn Ellis and play spread down the blind side for hooker, Ifan Hughes, to score in the same left corner. Stand-off Arthur Lennon converted from a difficult angle to give Nant a 12-0 cushion.

Dolgellau enjoyed plenty of possession, but also had to defend heroically to repel the  threatening Nant counter attacks. As the half drew to a close a deft chip by Lennon saw Nant right wing Carwyn Davies slide in at the corner to make the half time score 17-0.

Dolgellau pinned Nant back in their own 22 for most of the opening thirty minutes of the second half. Stand-off Gerwyn Thomas’ half break almost put in centre, Gareth Hughes. Prop Dewi Puw though he had scored from a forwards drive, but referee, Craig Roberts was unsighted.  Youngsters Dafydd George, coming on for Leon Brooks, for his first senior appearance, and full-back Dafydd Roberts, in his full first game, came close as did winger Rhys Lewis, but Nant withstood all Dolgellau threw at them.

Nant lost no.8 Ellis to a yellow card going into last quarter, but Dolgellau should have touched down from a five metre scrum push over that went astray, with try line begging.

Dolgellau brought on another youngster, Lewis Jones, also for his first team outing at scrum half, and all three debutants did very well, but Nant held on and as the visitors tired, and went looking for bonus point, which finally came with eight minutes remaining. Stand-off, Sion Pringle squeezing through the narrowest of gaps in the visitors defence to touchdown, which he duly converted to make it 24-0. A scoreline which flattered the homes side and looked cruel for the hard working visitors.

Dolgellau now have another away fixture on the weekend, with a Welsh Plate match at Colwyn Bay.

Referee : Craig Roberts

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos